Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas traditions

One of my favourite Christmas traditions as a youngster was watching Bing and Bowie sing 'The Little Drummer Boy' on telly - it's so cheesy! (not sure if the ABC still broadcasts it?).



Although I've spent most of my life in Australia, my family still maintains some European traditions. We always celebrate Christmas on the 24th, and while I was growing up these celebrations were large, colourful family affairs, filled with delicious European dishes, exotic drinks and much singing in German and Russian (helped along for the adults by some old-style vodka ... Nasdrovje!).

My cousins, sister and I always performed some kind of song or play (often in German) before opening our presents... this one sticks in my mind for some reason:

Lieber, guter Weihnachtsmann,
zieh die langen Stiefel an,
kämme deinen weißen Bart,
mach dich auf die Weihnachtsfahrt.

Komm doch auch in unser Haus,
packe die Geschenke aus.
Ach, erst das Sprüchlein wolltest du?
Ja, ich kann es, hör mal zu:

Lieber, guter Weihnachtsmann,
guck mich nicht so böse an.
Stecke deine Rute ein,
Ich will lieb und artig sein!

The song entreats Father Christmas to hurry up and come and deliver presents. The German Father Christmas is a little more stern than the English/Aussie version - he carries a big stick to deal with naughty kids, so I was always a little bit nervous about the whole thing.


My wish for you is for a very happy, safe and cosy Christmas, and that the New Year brings prosperity and joy.

All the best ....

2 comments:

CurlyPops said...

Merry Christmas Juddie - have a fabulous day!

Julie said...

You know, I have never heard that song by Bowie and Bing before this. I like it very much indeed.

Visiting via Joan Elizabeth ...

... also ...

Related Posts with Thumbnails