Monday, March 30, 2009

Book drive update

I'd like to say a really big thank you to all the lovely people who contributed books to my bushfire book drive. So far I've collected 1027 books (many more than I expected!), and I think I spied some more in a couple of the tubs that I set up in cafes around Brunswick ....

I've sent out most of the books with the help of Borders Books, who will not only distribute them to libraries and schools in communities affected by the fires, but are also donating $200,000 in cash.

Children's author Alan Bowater has also generously offered to send me some copies of his book 'A Cat Called Kitty', which relates the adventures of a purple flying pig who meets a fluffy white cat from Kathmandu. Thank you Alan!

Dear friends, if you have any books to spare that are in good condition, please don't hesitate to contact me and send them on over (I'm also happy to collect them if you're not too far away). So many communities lost their homes, schools and libraries last month, I'm sure that a simple gift of books will put smiles on many faces.

Hooray for books!

2 comments:

CurlyPops said...

What a great job Juddie. That's an amazing amount of books so far.

Bec said...

Hey Juddie
It is great that you have had so many people willing to donate... I think we have a couple of boxes/bags here waiting for collection (and it would also be really nice to catch up with you for a coffee/chat sometime when you are on campus - we Doco&Training chickees miss you).

... also ...

Related Posts with Thumbnails